26 April 2011

Perspective

I have two quotations on my cubicle wall at work.

The first is quite well-known, but only for the final statement:
For a long time, it seemed to me that life was about to begin -- real life. But there always was some obstacle in the way, soemthign to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way, so treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. -- Sousa


Reading it in its entirety, at least once a week, helps me keep my perspective. I've had this quote for at least two years.

Recently, this one joined it:
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." -- Mary Anne Radmacher
I have found that keeping my perspective aligned is the most beneficial act I can take. Reading books helps. It provides exposure to new thoughts and ideas.

It provides an alternative to the view I normally use.

What's your favorite quote? Why?

1 comment:

Lisa954 said...

It's kind of weird: "work with me on this. Buy a ticket."

It's the punchline to a joke:
A man who was broke prayed and prayed to God to let him win the lottery. Week after week, he never won. Finally, he asked God, "why won't you help me win the lottery?"

God answered, " "work with me on this. Buy a ticket."