25 February 2011

Little by Little

Goals are funny things.

Like Bethany's FB meme from yesterday, it's fun to use a standard to set a goal (by the way, I read 45 of those titles. But it's not a race.)

Personally, I think that lists like that are put together by some slightly pretentious person to feel better about themselves. It's a measuring stick. After all, we all claim to have read Ulysses, but really, who did? (okay, you in the back, put your hand down.)

Instead, I'd rather see a must read list from today's thought leaders on current books that have changed their lives. I would make it my goal to read all 100 of those titles. I loved many of the titles on there, but question the seriousness of any list that puts both "Far from the Madding Crowd" and "Harry Potter" on it. It just seems to be at cross-purposes.

Here's my goal: Collect 100 titles from the readers of Word Nerd. What books published in the last twenty years were awe inspiring when you first read them, re-read them or passed them to a friend?

We'll call it the Word Nerd meme, launch it into the world and see what it looks like when it comes back to us.

I'll start; check out the comments.

(Oh, and by the way, yes, I've been feeling rather parenthetical lately. My apologies for not making it shorter; I simply ran out of time.)

2 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

Titles from the last 20 years... wow... ok

1. Time Traveler's Wife
2. Griffin and Sabine
3. The Harry Potter series (all 7)
4. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
5. The Poet
6. The Cider House Rules

Should I keep going?

Stacie Penney said...

Time Traveler's Wife was on my list too!

7. Liar's Poker
8. The Big Short
9. The Dresdyn Files (all of them)
10. Outliers
11. The Percy Jackson Series
12. Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom