03 January 2011

2011 Reading Goals

Bethany's 2011 Reading Goals
  • Read a total of 85 books in 2011.
  • Read one book by a Russian master. I will gladly take recommendations.
  • Read the remaining 6 of Michael Connelly's back list (and the new one coming out in April) to be totally caught up with everything he's written.
  • Re-read either Lord of the Rings or C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy. It was a decade ago that I last read them both. If I get through both, I'm awarding myself bonus points.
  • Read at least one book a month that comes from my bookshelf instead of the library to get caught up on things I've borrowed or purchased
  • Read at least 3 books considered to be "important" books that I've never read. Despite taking advanced or AP English through all of high school and two lit classes in college there's an alarming number of really famous books I've never read (for example, Catcher in the Rye.) I think it's high time that I tackle of a few of these classics. Just don't make me read Jane Austen unless it also involves zombies or sea monsters, OK?
 The point of goals is to stretch and I think these will do that. Included are some specific categories of books that I get to read which should expand my literary horizons.

The total number is a stretch too. I've really slowed down on my reading pace in the last year. I think there's a direct correlation between being a homeowner and how much time I have to read. Rather than spending evenings with a book, I'm outside 3/4ths of the year, mowing, planting, weeding, hacking, raking, shoveling, or otherwise gardening to maintain a level of curb appeal and neighborhood respectability. I really want to read more than 100 books some year, but I also don't like setting unreachable goals because that just gets frustrating to me so I picked a more moderate number.

Watch for polls about the classics and which Russian master I should tackle in the coming weeks. I need to get on this right away to have a successful start.

No comments: