11 October 2011

Take Two Review: Ghost Story


Title: Ghost Story
Author: Jim Butcher
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 481 pages
Where Stacie's Copy Came From: Oshkosh Public Library

Plot Basics:
Harry probably pushed it too far this time. After his last adventure, he may have succeeded in destroying the Red Court Vampires, but the ramifications begin with his death and subsequent appearance as a ghost.

Banter Points: I liked this installation in the series. I was prepared to find it slow moving and uneventful. Potentially a dud in comparison to some of the brillance I had come to expect from Harry.

Instead, I found the slower pace something that Harry and I both needed. Harry is a classic, act first think later kind of person. And while it makes him daring and dramatic, full of adventure and escape. But not too good at thinking through the consequences of his action. And when you are as powerful as Harry, not thinking is a really bad thing.

The other side of this is that it gives Harry a chance to see what life would be like for his friends without him. Since Harry has had this as a fleeting thought before, but never focused on it, it is a great time for him to experience it.

Side note: I always love Molly, but she really ROCKED in this book. I may want to be her when I grow up.

Bummer Points: Umm...waiting for the next book? 'Cos, like always, I want more Dresden?

Stacie's Recommendation: Go now. Hurry. Rush. But don't get a speeding ticket.

No comments: