09 May 2006

Author Answers with Harley Jane Kozak

This week, the author who is shedding some light on the writing life is Harley Jane Kozak.

Kozak is the author of Dating Dead Men and Dating is Murder. She's got a website where there's an excerpt of Dating is Murder. Kozak is also a regular writer on The Lipstick Chronicles where she blogs about life and writing.

1. Place you do most of your writing:
On my laptop, generally at my kitchen table, or in my car, waiting in the carpool pick-up lane at my kids' school . . .
2. While you write, do you do anything else (munch on carrots or drink tea or listen to heavy metal, for example?)
I work very hard not to eat everything that's not nailed down. I drink a lot of coffee & tea, but try for peace & quiet (sometimes even successfully)
3. Why did you decide to be a writer?
It sort of decided for me. It's like being taken captive.
4. What author(s) inspire you?
SO many it's hard to say -- the mystery writers John D. MacDonald, Mary Stewart, Georgette Heyer, John Le Carre . . .
5. How long did you have to work on writing before your first book was accepted for publication? I worked on my first book for 8+ years.
6. What made you keep working until it was done?
My writers' group made me finish it.
7. How did you feel when you first saw your name on the cover of a book?
Awe-struck.
8. If you had to actually live the life of one of the characters in your book(s) who would you want to be and why?
Uncle Theo, because he's the happiest man on earth and loves poetry and doesn't drive and thinks people are just wonderful.

Great questions! Thanks!
Harley Jane Kozak

No comments: