03 January 2012

2012 Reading Goals

I really enjoyed having reading goals during 2011. I like that sense of accomplishment, of purpose and of challenge. Given that, I'm going to set reading goals for 2012 as well.

Here we go:
  • Read a total of 90 books in 2012. I got through 92 in 2011 and with my current interest in graphic novels, I think 90 is do-able, though a bit of a stretch. Mathematically, that's 7.5 books a month, or about 2 a week. Phew. Maybe this means less TV (not a bad thing in the least.) 
  • Read another book by a Russian master. Though I didn't love Anna Karenina, I got through it and now feel like more of a "real reader" because of it. I'm going to do another Russian masterpiece in the moody winter. I'm not taking votes this year. It's Brothers Karamazov. Don't try to talk me out of it. 
  • Read 4 important books. I'm upping this by one from 2011, and hoping that I don't end this year in a crunch to finish like I did last year. One of these will be Catcher in the Rye. A friend gave me a copy years ago, and I've been a terrible friend and haven't read it yet. This year, I will. 
  • Finish both Sara Donati's "Lake in the Clouds" series and Lauren Willig's "Pink Carnation" series. I'm part way through both, and it's silly to not just plow forward and finish. All told, I think this is 5 or 6 books, total. 
  • Read one book from my bookshelf or a loaner every month. This was the goal I dropped last year, so I'm trying again. 
I think these goals are pretty do-able, but a stretch. Good thing I got two more loaner books last night from a friend....

    No comments: