17 November 2011

The TBR Pile, or the Wowbrary Curse

My TBR pile is currently out of control, thanks mostly to Wowbrary.

Haven't heard of Wowbrary -- check it out www.wowbrary.org.

Weekly, they send you an email of all the new stuff at your library. They break down the new material down in categories -- fictions, mysteries & thrillers and the category that I've been perusing a lot, graphic novels.

The great thing about Wowbrary is while there are certain authors that I keep an eye out for when they have new stuff and put it on hold early (#166 for Michael Connelly's "The Drop"), others I don't follow as closely or just like browsing the shelves, my interest gets piqued by something new. A librarian friend told me she uses Wowbrary to keep up on nonfiction. I don't even click on that section or I'd be even more overwhelmed...

But the result is that I have something like a dozen books currently checked out of the library! Granted, getting through a graphic novel is an evening's entertainment or less since they read quickly, but there's a hefty number of novels in that mix as well. (And don't get me started on the books I own waiting still to be read...and the asks for reviews... )

Remember back in college when some schools would give reading days in between the last day of class and the start of finals week?

Maybe I need one of those....

3 comments:

Jay H said...

Remember back in college when some schools would give reading days in between the last day of class and the start of finals week?

Nope. But then I majored in applied math and computer science.

Bethany K. Warner said...

Jay --
This may be urban legend. Anderson never did this for me, nor did the University of Illinois. I have heard rumors of it from my professorial parents teaching in the South...

Roxann said...

I can only speak for schools I have attended, but Cornell University and University of Wisconsin-Madison both have these, although I think they were called "study days" rather than "reading days" at both places.