19 July 2011

End of an Era - or not?

Harry Potter, the final movie, came out on Friday. Were you one of the masses that stood in line for it? I was not.

For me, Harry Potter ended when the final book came out in 2007. I watched the first two movies and decided that they were not for me. Mainly because they ruined the pictures in my head, which was more thrilling than anything I saw on the big screen.

For many, the movies marked the end of the Potter Era. A Google search turns up all sorts of interesting things like the etymology of some words by WordNik or a seven minute movie to catch you up on the previous movies. (I cheated. Both of those links courtesy of Kottke.org)

I have to wonder if Harry is done for the author, though. Having invested such a large amount of time and effort in the world and characters, is Rowling done? Or, now that Potter is officially over, will she reveal another set of challenges and characters in the same world?

I have no official rumors, other than an early promise she made that Harry would never appear with a mid-life crisis.

I don't think that the Potter world is over. Call it a hunch, but now that the last movie is out, I think we'll be hearing from Rowling. Soon.

3 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

Have you heard of Pottermore? That news just came out a week or two ago before hte final movie release.

Thinking back to book 7 makes me nostalgic. http://bkwriter.blogspot.com/2007/07/word-nerd-gets-her-book.html

liz said...

i hear you on the movie front. the first few movies were awful. i despise them. the books are too detailed to think that they translate well to the big screen.

however, i did give into the hype and just watched 6, 7.1 and 7.2 this week. since they had 2 movies to deal with book 7, they did a really good job being faithful to the book.

it also helps that the kids grew up and learned how to act...

Stacie Penney said...

Bethany - I haven't heard of Pottermore and will hit up Google :)

Liz - I definitely have heard really good thing. I may, once my own kids are older. They really like 1 and 2, so it probably in my future.