The whole idea of the week is to boost kids' enthusiasm for reading by making books fun.
As a kid, Word Nerd didn't need much encouragement to think reading was fun. Word Nerd was the kind of kid who would save up her money to order books from those Scholastic book order forms (remember those 4-page newsprint type flyers?).
This whole idea of reading to kids got Word Nerd to thinking about what were some of her favorite books as a kid. Many of these got read and reread, so if you're looking for some good kiddie-lit that came out before the world heard of Harry Potter, here are a few titles.
- The Castle in the Attic, by Elizabeth Winthrop
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg
- The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin
- Trapped in Time, by Ruth Chew (out of print...this could be tougher to find)
- The Prydain Chronicles (The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, and The High King), bu Lloyd Alexander