12 November 2010

My Reading Goals

I have had reading goals in the past.

I've never tried to read more in a year; I have tried to read less. As in only one book a week. I almost made it in 2003, with 53 books, but it wasn't really the goal for that year.

In the past couple of years, I have tried to broaden the type of reading that I do. More early detectives stories or some other specific type of book. It doesn't always work. It is a perpetual goal to read more non-fiction. I always want to learn stuff but non-fiction books tend to be dry reading. Finding a good one is usually the goal.

But in 2011, I don't have a specific goal in mind. I have the Outlander series stocked-up. I would like to re-read that.

I read a Rex Stout novel last year and really enjoyed it. It would be good to go back and demolish those.

And then there is the never-ending TBR list of ideas that I get every where and pick through on occasion. Word Nerd has had several recommendations for over the years that I could finally get to, if I devote my reading to clearing out the list.

In college, I was a English Literature Major (great time, bad career choices). I'm pretty well-read when it come to early novels and the Victorian authors. I adore Jane Austen. The Russian greats? Not so interesting to me. Too much history that I don't know about and would miss the significance of given elements in the stories.

I don't have a goal. But now the idea is bouncing around in my head. Perhaps it will work out to something grand when it formulates.

No comments: