08 November 2010

2011 Reading Goals

I've been thinking about setting some reading list goals for myself for 2011. Only, I have no idea what those goals should be. Or, to be more accurate, I have too many ideas about what those goals could  be.

Is 2011 the year of catching up on all the books that I've bought or been lent by friends but have yet to read?

Is 2011 the year of the Russian masters? (I know, I know... rake me over the coals for having never read them... or better yet, blame my education.)

Is 2011 the year of "important books?" Classics that I feel like I should have read but never did (see above, and the education thing) and ones that I actually want to go back to (I'm talking about Graham Greene here.)

Is 2011 the year where I don't start any new series until I'm caught up on the backlists of the ones I'm already in (Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and more)?

Am I thinking about this too much?

I'm sort of thinking about the first one -- the catching up -- or the year of important books. (Sorry Tolstoy...)

I've got a few ideas in my head about "important books" that I've never read, but what would you put on that list?

3 comments:

Gin said...

I vote year of catching up. Talking about books with friends makes for fun times.

Alternatively, you could alternate catching up and "important books" each quarter.

liz said...

or throw in one russian classic per quarter. tolstoy takes a while to read. people talk about how hard he is to read, and it's not that, it just takes forever. you might want to break up the book with a quick novel here or there. :)

Mary Vensel White said...

I vote catch up with your shelf, but throw in a couple of Russians! No reading life is complete without Anna Karenina or Brothers Karamazov, in my opinion. My puppies just chewed my old, school-days versions of Brothers so I bought a beautiful Penguin edition and look forward to reading it this year! Not a chore at all--long books but riveting and so worth the time!