03 March 2011

Anna Karenina Pts 1 and 2

I'm really proud of myself for getting through the first two parts of Anna Karenina and I have to admit, I'm ready to get back to it.

Somebody described it as a soap opera and I keep trying to keep that descriptor in my head while reading. I think it's helping. As I watch the tangle of lives of all the main character, it does feel like what I assume to be in a soap opera. (I've only ever flipped past them on TV and don't think I've ever even watched a whole episdoe...)

As promised, here's some discussion for parts 1 and 2. If you're reading along with us, feel free to tackle any or all of these questions in the comments:

So far, who's your favorite character and why?
If you were Tolstoy's editor today, which character would you urge him to cut out of the story at this point?
What's been the most surprising thing you noticed in how this book is put together? What would you expect to be different if Anna Karenina came out now?

No comments: