25 November 2005

Blocked

I have writer's block. A full-blown case. Overwhelmed by the amount of material I have collected for a story, I don't know where to begin. I have a set of deadlines that I must meet and the clock ticks and I am making no progress.

Of course, begin I must once I am done posting here. This post is like practice, or therapy, proving to myself that I can indeed put one word after another in an order that makes sense.

Writing is the only cure for having writer's block. That sounds circular, irrational, illogical. But it's true. It's like the cliched phrase, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." To beat the block, writers have to write. Eventually, with enough persistence, the block comes down, even if it feels like you've been tearing it down with your bare hands.

No comments: