05 September 2011

Book Banter -- Where Demons Fear to Tread (ARC)

Title: Where Demons Fear to Tread
Author: Stephanie Chong
Length: 348 pages
Genre: Paranormal romance
Where Word Nerd's Copy Came From: ARC from Planned Television Arts
Plot Basics: Newly minted angel Serena St. Clair is assigned to be the guardian for Hollywood's latest drinking-drug using-girl chasing star. When she follows her "client" to Devil's Paradise, an elite club run by archdemon Julian Ascher, she's never expecting the demon to tempt her so thoroughly. Fearful that following her desire will cause her to fall, Serena tries to stay away from Julian. But to protect her guardianee, Serena makes a deal to accompany Julian to Las Vegas to oversee the opening of his newest club, putting them both in the sights of two other demons who want to send Julian back to hell. Permanently.

Banter Points: OK, so I don't normally admit to reading this kind of book, but this is an free ARC requiring a review situation. *cough*

I finished the book in two days during my vacation reading marathon. And it was a good brain candy book for this period of time. The conflict between Julian and Serena was fairly classic (think Buffy and Angel or Anita and Jean-Claude here) and well-played.

Bummer Points: So I know angels are one of the latest things in paranormal fiction (right with mermaids, right?) but I can pretty safely say that this may be the first and last angel romance I read. Don't ask me why I've got no problem with vampire fiction, or fiction involving demons and heck, Lucifer like the Dante Valentine series, but with this, I had serious theological problems with this book. The writing was fine, the plot was fine, the characters for this kind of book were pretty well developed. But... I have serious issues with Serena (an angel) saying that all world religions are the same.

Word Nerd Recommendations: If you're an indiscriminate reader of paranormal romance fiction, then I think you'll like this one. If you understand why I had issues with it, then skip it because you'll have the same issues.

No comments: