21 January 2011

The Russians -- A Book Club?

There are nine more days to vote in the Russian masters poll over there -->

At this point, it's looking like Anna Karenina, so if you have a preference for one of the others, you should vote. Or vote again. I recently had a friend tell me she loved this book, but that I should keep a list of characters handy. My heart rose and sank all at the same time. I haven't kept notes on a book since college lit classes...

Turns out, co-nerd Stacie also isn't well versed in the Russians either, so I'm trying to convince her to read it with me.

And to that end, I'm going to throw out this idea -- What if reading a Russian Masterpiece was a Word Nerd book club-esque feature? You can read it with me (or us, cough, Stacie) if you want. We'll set a reasonable length of time for finishing it and periodically, we'll open up a post for discussion.

Any takers? Comment if you're in and don't forget to vote.

2 comments:

Stacie Penney said...

I'm pretty much convinced, as long as we have a college-esque reading schedule that covers 3-4 months of time. Anna Karenina has been on the TBR list for quite some time.

I'd finally be able to bold in all of those reading lists that go around every few years.

Unknown said...

I read Anna Karenina for the first time as a junior in high school, and again as a junior in college. I loved it - it is such a soap opera.

Another great read is Eugene Onegin, by Pushkin. It's a novel! In verse! And it is genius. I have the translation by James Falen (Oxford University Press).